With a career spanning more than 30 years, Rob’s depth of experience allows him to apply a broad skill set toward a variety of digital projects. He’s well versed in print design, art production, web design and coding, video editing, animation and photography.
I've had my fill of 2020. How about you?
“Sometimes life is going to hit you in the head with a brick. Don’t lose faith.” — Steve Jobs
2020 will go down in history as one of the most challenging years faced by businesses. For some businesses, the corona virus pandemic was like a death knell, for others it was transformative. Regardless of how your business was impacted, the pandemic forced many to think differently. Working virtually with technology for most of my career has put me in a position of being a catalyst for change. Creatively thinking different is what I do, and it's what I bring to the table for every project.
I provide services in the following areas:
- Graphic Design
- Web Design and Development
- Logo Design
- Publication Design
- Video Acquisition and Editing
One of the benefits of having a long career in the graphics arts industry is that many of the digital tools used, like the Adobe Creative Suite, are like second nature to me. In fact, I've been using some of them since they were beta software! I know you’re probably saying something like “geez, this guy must be old!” However, something Henry Ford said helped me to appreciate age is a frame of mind. He said, “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.” I'm inspired by Ford’s saying because it keeps me on a path of continuous learning and perfecting the tools of my trade.
One of my college professors use to say, “Your resume should never be finished". That being said, here's the current state of my work-in-progress.
Formally trained in Commercial Art, Design and Photography at Central Michigan University, Rob has been designing and developing a wide range of communication materials for more than 30 years. Rob's experience developing digital communications, UI/UX simulations, web applications and more have provided him many wonderful opportunities.
His work has received numerous local, national and international awards, including the inVision Award (NewMedia Magazine), the International Crystal Award of Excellence (The Communicator Awards), the Renaissance Award of Excellence (IABC - Detroit), and the Literacy Achievement Award (LITSTART, MLI).
Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Design, Commercial Art and Photography
Macomb Community College, Warren, MI
General Studies in University Prep
- Photo Editor of the college paper
- Dean's List: 3.74 GPA
Center for Creative Studies, Detroit, MI
- Marker Rendering Techniques, Air Brush Illustration
- Data Tech Institute: Advance Troubleshooting for the Macintosh
- Color Across America/Thomas Monroe, Inc.: Calibration, Trapping, Film Quality and Color Correction
- MacroMedia, Inc. (ADOBE): Advanced UI Design, Interactive Media, Advanced Programming Techniques
Multimedia & Graphic Designer
Freelance Multimedia Designer, Detroit, MI
- Lead in the design, development, and implementation of digital and printed communication materials.
- Provide counsel on all aspects of the project.
- Assessment of all graphic materials to ensure quality and accuracy
- Oversee production budgets ranging from $5,000 - $125,000
Graphic Department Supervisor, Creative Director
Carlson Marketing Company, Automotive Division, Troy, MI
- Directed, managed and implemented digital migration of graphics department over 48-months
- Created and implemented ongoing training program for art production and digital design staff
- Delegated tasks to the 16 members of the design team and provided counsel on all aspects of the project.
- Supervised the assessment of all graphic deliverables in order to ensure quality and accuracy of the design
- Oversight of production budgets ranging from $25,000 - $500,000
Art Director, Pre-Press Production
Ameritech Publishing / Words & More, LTD.
- Designed and produced 89 directory enhancement publications annually using digital and traditional art production workflows.
- Supplied logo design, publication design, ad layouts, typography, illustration, photo retouching, sales and marketing communications, trade displays, color separation and print coordination for large commercial printer.
- Oversight of production budgets ranging from $1,000 - $12,000
Here are just a few samples of projects I've completed recently. You can also take a look at a narrated version that I put together containing some additional samples.
I Love Oils, Inc.
Birchtree Home Builders
Print & Digital
Print & Digital
Playing Field, Inc.
Print & Digital
JCI Studio Zero
Twin Ridge Capital
Diamond Jack's River Tours
Appliance Repair Geek
I've been providing design, web and photo services for more than 30-years. I can plug into your existing team as freelance to provide a very selective skill-set or as a creative partner managing every aspect of your communication project.
Business Cards, Brochures, Manuals, Catalogs, Books, PDF, ePub, Printed & Digital
Single & Multi Page, Social Media, Search Optimization, AdWords, B2B, B2C, eCommerce
Portrait, Product, Social, YouTube, Capture, Edit, Retouch, Compress & Post
I have worked with Rob in a professional capacity for over 20 years. He consistently delivers exceptional creativity and superior design to every project. What I enjoy and appreciate most about working with him is his adaptability. He takes input and feedback on initial design work very well, and then consistently over-delivers on projects. It's a bonus that he does this all with a very pleasant, collaborative, and supportive demeanor. I am always looking forward to the next opportunity to get Rob involved on my projects.
Senior Vice President - Business Development, Quorum Information Technologies
I've engaged Rob's services numerous times over the years - mostly in the area of creative design work. He has an outstanding ability to truly understand the business goals and messages you are trying to convey and create a "look" and "theme" that delivers them. Rob comes up with very creative and visually appealing concepts, and works well with you in the "back-and-forth" process to get to the final result. I highly recommend Rob's talents!
Rob always comes through for us in crunch time situations and continues to impress us with up-to-date knowledge of internet technology and most importantly: creative marketing solutions.